Who We Are
Bamboo club, which derived its name on account of the bamboo forests and the southern part of Coorg was known earlier as the Bamboo district. The club started by coffee planters in keeping with the British tradition established the club naming it The” BAMBOO CLUB”.
Bamboo club started in one of the erstwhile Consolidated Coffee Company’s bungalow is now over 130 years old, still maintaining its rich heritage and plantation culture.
- During 1884 few planters of south Kodagu saw the need for a common place where all could meet for interaction and entertainment.
- 9th November 1885, a club came into existence consisting of 51 European members who called it “BAMBOO CLUB”
- The club expanded gradually adding a Library, Bridge room, Cards room and Badminton.
- One motor car made its grand entry during 1914 creating parking problems!! And so the club grew.
- The club today is equipped with all the required facilities, including six guest rooms.
The cottages at Bamboo Club built overlooking the coffee plantations and the tennis courts, gives an overwhelming sense of serenity. Every room has attached bath with hot and cold water, Television and Wifi. The club has a full fledged kitchen with an experienced chef for your sumptuous meal requirements, be it Indian, Chinese, Continental or the local coorg cuisine.
Two centuries have gone by since the “BAMBOO CLUB” came into existence, but time has not diminished the charisma and character of the club. The scenic structure is standing in silent contemplation is not only a brick and mortar construction, but an edifice of which parts are the lives of men, women and children of many generations.